Monday, January 4, 2010

Two Thousand…And Then?


The general consensus on 2009 was that it wasn’t one for the Emotional History Books and unlike memorable Emotional Peak years like ’76, ’94, ’99 and 2000, the Double O Nina will not go down as a Classic. I’ve never been one for Generalities and something about a Consensus always seems to negate the validity of the individual perspective of Salmon People like me, who stay swimming against the current and going against the grain. I loved 2009!

In 2009, we in South Africa experienced one of the most incredible political leadership juxtapositions of our day; the inauguration of American President Obama amidst mass euphoria and global elation, with the election of President Zuma amidst brow-raising reluctance and skepticism. Quietly observing the media, the electorate, my friends, family and myself in all this, I noticed just how real collective thought is in molding our reality. The lessons learnt were profound.

When did we become a people so devoid of initiative and personal perspective, that we allow others to decide our realities for us? Last I checked God had gifted all with Free Will. Somewhere along the line, I suspect, somebody used their free will to create the illusion of Power, used that illusion to disempower others by stripping them of free will and proceeded to make decisions for us. Truth is, it’s ok for a Black man to be President of America with the populous actually voting him in to boot. Truth is, it’s ok for the Unpopular Candidate to be the Preferred Candidate, with the populous actually voting him in to boot. I know some believe that the democratic process is flawed to begin with and that it’s a beast gotten out of control, but when things like these happen in such a system, I am encouraged. Maybe, just maybe, The Veil will be seen and eventually lifted.

2009 also saw the release of my third record. I had the humbling honour of having one of the most played songs of the year, topping several charts and in the process charting new artistic terrain. Not only did I get play on new and exciting platforms, I also got to perform on stages I’d have not even dreamt of before, got to meet the most incredible bands, industry personalities and corporate players in SA. I was exposed to a side to my profession I never even knew existed, a world running parallel to the one I’d lived in for a decade and not even known about. It changed my life, literally. A change that will be seen externally, in time no doubt, but a change that internally I can only tell you about in two words; Life Altering.

2009 was a Classic! Many of these truths, changes, advancements and shifts I carry through to 2010. A lot of them I’ll share with you here on my blog as the year progresses. Others I’ll put in song when I record again throughout the year. As the new year starts, I’m grateful. Grateful for being alive, for being aware and having a voice. Most of all, I’m grateful that I have the freedom to enjoy all these blessings freely. That’s important.

Happy New Year.
Now Live!

No comments: