Friday, June 4, 2010

GOLDEN MIC NIGHTS – TUMI MOLEKANE


I watched Invictus for the first time this week. Apart from being blind sided (pleasantly) by what was easily one of Matt Damon’s best performances in a starring role, I was rather moved by the Unity theme in the movie. The Bucks in the locker room tasting defeat; the presidential guard detail implementing the Smile Policy and of course the flag-waving nation willing the team on to victory. Last night at Golden Mic Nights I had an Invictus moment; when Tumi hugged Bricks after midnight closing off his set.

Let’s get it out the way; it’s no secret Tumi is my favourite artist. I’ve decided to write about what makes him so dope. This isn’t it. This is about last night.

Now, I’ve been cursed with an eye for symbolism which grows in intensity as I get older. I call this a curse because it has ensured that I hardly ever get to see any occurance for what it is and rather see what it represents. For some this would be a blessing but for me, with my constant need to relate and say “I feel you, I’m on the same page”, it’s a curse. This morning I’m rather grateful for this curse…

Golden Mic Nights kicked off late this month. Late starts mean late finishes and, more importantly for me, a restless audience. A restless audience tends to become a…how can I put this…well-watered army of Vikings or Gauls. The lessons have been learnt.

That aside, DJ Bob set the mood right on decks as people walked in. African Instrumentalist Pops Mohamed sparked off the stage beautifully with his KORA, sharing two songs from his new album (his 37th) Society Vibes – Fast Forward. My favourite legend let it be known that the night ahead would be a special one. What followed was magic. [SYMBOLISM: This is Africa. Music is African]

Tumi started his first set with an ode to the music that ushered him into Hip Hop; Run-DMC. With just him and the immensely talented one-man band Peach of Yesterday’s Pupil, Tumi stripped down to bare lyrics and beats. With special cameo appearances from Zaki Ibrahim, Pebbles and (the biggest Hip Hop profile in SA right now) HHP, the first set was done. The message was clear. In Tumi’s words, “just in case you got it twisted it’s Hip Hop on stage tonight”.
[SYMBOLISM: This is Africa. Hip Hop is African]

When the band plugged in for the second set, I knew it was about to get silly in the Bluesroom as songs from Tumi’s SAMA nominated album Whole Worlds bounced off the walls of the venue. Hardly able to stay in my seat, I watched the audience rise from theirs to vibe with Big T too as he wove tales of their lives on stage.
[SYMBOLISM: This is Africa. We are all African]

As everyone waited for Bricks to arrive to round off the night with the final song, the Golden Mic Nights audience jumped into spontaneity as one and begun singing the hook to the title track to Tumi’s debut album “Music from My Good Eye”. He had to oblige with the accapella of the song. Shortly after Bricks arrived and the band blazed Bambezela!
[SYMBOLISM: This is Africa. United]

The narrow view of what Africa is and who represents it counters efforts towards true continental unity. Last night I saw a side of Africa represented in Tumi and his music that deserves our support. Just as the Boks in Invictus gave it to their captain Francois, premier artists gave it to Tumi. Just as the team got that support from the flag-wavers the audience gave it to Tumi. It is that kind of support that results in the true unity of African people.

Symbolically, I wore my PUMA Unity soccer kit last night in anticipation of continental magic. I’m wearing it again tonight as I host an event at The Woods and I’ll wear it again next week Wednesday at the demonstration of unity in Sandton. Throughout the entire duration of the World Cup I’m rocking this kit hard. It’s important.

Thank you to everyone that attended Golden Mic Nights. As always the calibre of the audience makes these nights doubly special. Big up specifically to Zambian television show Celebrity Watch, my guests from the UK Chris, Laurie and the guys, the influential voices of Sphiwe Mpye, Maria McCloy, Khaya Dlanga and yes, Mika. Special thanks to the very talented Asheru for joining our audience, Taye Grin from Malawi, PO and Remis for doing the same, JT Comms, Matchboxology and Dreamcatcher for the love. Big up all artists for showing up and giving our people value for the rand; Pops Mohamed, Ntsiki Mazwai, Pebbles, Zaki Ibrahim, MXO, Bricks, HHP, DJ Bob, Peach and the band. Any time you guys call, I’m there. To my brother Big T from The V like the man X said last night, “Chicks dig you!”

On a personal note, it was great to see Sydney and his wife! Thanks for coming in spite of the jet lag.To Charlene I swear it’s the hair!

Another one down, another to come: Golden Mic Nights – Kwane Experience happens on July 1st. It’s smack bang in the middle of World Cup Fever. Feel it…

Now Live
Zubz

No comments: