Friday, May 7, 2010

GOLDEN MIC NIGHTS – RJ BENJAMIN



A Night of Firsts: Last night was, for me, a beautiful night of firsts.

For the first time in the series of Golden Mic Nights, I played a proper ‘Host’, not just an ‘Artist’. I was on stage with the Golden Mic but not holding it in my right hand, instead I was watching someone else weave musical alchemy through it; RJ Benjamin!

For the first time ever I performed live on stage with the spellbinding Lebo Mashile; despite working and recording together for the best part of a decade, only last night did we finally share the sacred space of the stage. Sitting from an awe inspiring vantage point I was like a voyeuristic spirit wisp rested on her shoulder, watching her and the audience simultaneously. It was such a beautiful view.

For the first time since we co-wrote our song together, Danny K, RJ Benjamin and I performed “Shut Up” as one on stage. A certain magic happens when artists combine on a song. Anyone can hear that magic whenever the song is played. But it is only when these artists perform it as one on stage that the magic is released and not just heard but felt too. This moment was an unexpected, pleasant surprise for me! I loved it.

RJ Benjamin is a consummate performer. As I sat just behind and to his right on stage watching and listening to him go through his repertoire from the tragedy inspired “See You In My Dreams” through his positive “Say Yeah” and the popular “Change The World” to his final “Goodbye” I realized something. This dude is our generation’s equivalent of the Motown greats. He should be celebrated and his music lauded. If we don’t celebrate a writer like RJ, who’s pen strokes the colour to everyone from Danny K, Pebbles and Lira’s music to Slickour, Don Juan and Zeus; a singer whose vocal range peaks past the Devils’ in Cape Town and dips lower than the pit of the Kimberly Hole; a performer who comfortably weaves Prince, Michael Jackson, Smokey Robinson and Oasis together in a set; and above all a human being who shares family and lovelife lows with his audience on stage; if we don’t celebrate RJ Benjamin, then who do we celebrate? Shakira?

In a night of firsts I saw for the first time how tangible my dream to bring back music appreciation at the live venue is. I also realized the need for it. The audience was as diverse as the national flag and swayed united to the air of music just the same.

So I wanna say publicly big up to RJ! This is why I stay in his corner for time. And to everyone that attended last night, Sarah Benjamin, Kim and Rowan Cloete, Loyiso Bala, Spykos Tshepo, Lebo Mashile, Danny K, Pebbles, Nothenede, Andreattah, Miss Phindi, Claire Mawisa, Dzino and Maria McCloy, Kojo and Estelle Bafoe, The Cutt, Miss Fifi, G Money Bags, Keke and finally Ryan and the Mrs (that lovely couple that celebrated their first wedding anniversary with us from George) you and everyone yesterday made Golden Mic Nights RJ Benjamin a beautiful night of firsts!

I can’t wait for the next one! Golden Mic Nights Tumi & Zaki Ibrahim happens at the Bluesroom, Village Walk on Thursday June 3rd 2010! Tell some body…

Live now!
Zubz

3 comments:

Bogodile said...

I feel sorry for myself for missing the show :(
but June 3rd I'll be there.....

Drea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Drea said...

You were a brilliant host Last Letta.You created a very relaxed night so effortlessly.RJ Bejamin is a phenomenal artist,been a fan since
day 1(Project Fame) and being an Oasis fan I was hooked when I heard his cover of Wonderwall years ago.His body of work is the meaning of ART in song.
Lebo Mashile is a sage,her words can feed a nation.Miss Fifi, Pebbles & Nothende are the voices of Diva angels(ones that wear diamond encrusted halos).
Amazing first Golden Mic night for me.Looking forward to many nights!Thanks.